Friday, October 14, 2022

Plan and prepare to pick

 


October 14, 2022
I usually limit myself to choosing two or three estate sales to visit a month. I aim to be intentional with my picking; to leave each sale feeling satisfied and excited to add new pieces to whichever collection I’m expanding that day. When I was growing up, my grandmother was very intentional with the sales that she chose to visit, which might be where this habit comes from. Once I’ve selected the sales I hope to visit, I make a plan. This plan usually involves cleaning out the back seat of my car and laying a shag tarp down in hopes of finding a beautiful new armoire or loveseat for my living room. Next, I set a budget for myself. It is so easy to get overwhelmed when you’re visiting a sale. Definitely do your homework before you go to see which payment methods they accept. To keep me on budget, I’ll usually take out some cash and limit myself to the amount of bills that I bring.  

Now that I’ve got my money together, my car is prepped and ready for any transport I need to do, all that is left is to make your short list of ‘wants’ or what I refer to as ‘Not Leaving Without’.
Usually you have an idea of what is going to be featured at a sale, but it can be overwhelming once you arrive. Have a short list of ‘wants’ or things that you should keep an eye out for. This list should act as a guide for you. Think about the pieces you already have at home. What’s missing? What needs something new added to it to complete the final look? What could use a vintage scarf lining to spruce up the fall decor in your home? Be intentional with your picking!

 
I have found the majority of my most treasured pieces through estate sale picking or thrifting. It is crucial that you keep your intentions set and your actions focused on getting done whatever job you came to do. By setting a budget, prepping, researching, and creating a short list of ‘wants’, you alleviate more time for picking and less time for what feels like aimless wandering.

 
What is your pre-picking ritual? Do you make a plan to hunt or are you a “decide in the moment” type of person?

 
Be thankful, be kind,
-Kat W.

No comments:

Post a Comment